When we’re not baking, decorating cupcakes or hosting classes, we love exploring the neighborhoods that surround our studio. One of our favorite strips to shop, drop, and eat is Queen West! The Queen West neighborhood, known for its cafes, contemporary art galleries, and independent clothing stores, is roughly defined as the stretch of land from Spadina Ave. on the east to Dufferin Street on the west. It’s a wonderful area and we highly recommend exploring it before or after attending one of our decorating classes!
A few of our favorite places:
- Magic Pony! We love this adorable, eclectic shop full of one-of-a-kind stationery, jewelry, kitchen accessories, and toys. Our intern, Deb, is absolutely in love with The Simpsons collectible figurines, Little Red Riding Hood teacups, and gorgeous stationery.
- Cabaret – a must pop in to! Admire their beautiful vintage dresses and hats (inspired by Jackie O).
- Anne Sportun Experimental Jewelry where you’ll find gorgeous glittery pieces.
- MOCCA (Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art). It’s FREE and the gallery is always hosting new exhibits. Enjoy an afternoon of homegrown and foreign talent here!
- Exploring works up an appetite so enjoy a sweet nibble at Nadege Patisserie (the rainbow of macarons will make you squeal with delight!) and a meal at Terroni, a fabulous Italian pizzeria and eatery.
- To end off a great day, relax at the Drake Hotel with a drink and soak in the sights and sounds from their rooftop patio, The Sky Yard in the summer or their cool lounge any other time of year.
Right, tour guide services are complete! Let us know if you want more information on our fabulous area of the city.