Thanks for watching today’s demo on Instagram Live with Chef Umie.
Here’s the recipe and how to make it!
Milk and Honey Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup soured milk (+1 Tablespoon lemon juice/vinegar)
3 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil or bacon grease/duck fat etc
4 Tablespoons melted butter
Optional: sliced jalapenos to top
1. Mix the lemon juice/vinegar together with the milk
2. Melt butter and grease (if using)
3. Combine soured milk, honey and oil (if using) in step 1, mix together until homogeneous (these are the WET ingredients)
4. Mix up eggs until yolks and whites are homogeneous, leave aside
5. Combine all purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, mix together with a whisk or fork until homogeneous (these are the DRY ingredients)
6. Add melted butter to dry ingredients and stir gently through
7. Mix eggs into wet ingredients and then add to the dry ingredients & butter/grease. Mix until just combined, important not to overmix!
8. Preheat oven to 375 fahrenheit, portion muffins (without muffin liners) into greased muffin tin OR pour into greased skillet and mix-in jalapeno, cheddar, corn kernels etc as you wish (optional) and decorate tops with jalapeno slices etc as you wish (optional). Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into middle of a muffin comes out clean.