When we’re not baking, decorating cupcakes or hosting classes, we love exploring the neighborhoods that surround our studio. One of our favorite strips to shop, drop, and eat is Queen West! The Queen West neighborhood, known for its cafes, contemporary art galleries, and independent clothing stores, is roughly defined as the stretch of land from Spadina Ave. on the east to Dufferin Street on the west. It’s a wonderful area and we highly recommend exploring it before or after attending one of our decorating classes!
A few of our favorite places:
- Magic Pony! We love this adorable, eclectic shop full of one-of-a-kind stationery, jewelry, kitchen accessories, and toys. Our intern, Deb, is absolutely in love with The Simpsons collectible figurines, Little Red Riding Hood teacups, and gorgeous stationery.
- Cabaret – a must pop in to! Admire their beautiful vintage dresses and hats (inspired by Jackie O).
- Anne Sportun Experimental Jewelry where you’ll find gorgeous glittery pieces.
- MOCCA (Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art). It’s FREE and the gallery is always hosting new exhibits. Enjoy an afternoon of homegrown and foreign talent here!
- Exploring works up an appetite so enjoy a sweet nibble at Nadege Patisserie (the rainbow of macarons will make you squeal with delight!) and a meal at Terroni, a fabulous Italian pizzeria and eatery.
- To end off a great day, relax at the Drake Hotel with a drink and soak in the sights and sounds from their rooftop patio, The Sky Yard in the summer or their cool lounge any other time of year.
Right, tour guide services are complete! Let us know if you want more information on our fabulous area of the city.
Not only do we love eating sweets (it’s kind of a given working in a cupcake studio!), but we also love everything that has to do with sweet treats including beautiful and adorable jewelery! Who can resist cupcake earrings and charm bracelets, ice cream cone necklaces, and gingerbread man earrings? Even if you can’t get around to eating the real thing, these accessories will fill the sugary void for the time being. Many of these gorgeous baubles were purchased from talented artisans and crafters on Etsy, an online emporium of lovingly made handmade garments, accessories, stationery, and home decor. Etsy is an amazing place to browse and shop and it’s wonderful knowing you’re supporting independent businesses when you purchase something from there. Here at Le Dolci we truly appreciate beautiful craftsmanship because we know the love and artistry that goes into making pretty things, like our cupcakes! Have a sweet day and try your best not to drool over these delectable desserts!
Project Engagement presents: FORK U, taking place on Wednesday, November 30th at Muzik nightclub. Project Engagement is a registered not-for-profit organization that helps families in Toronto/GTA who are in need.
- Chef Victor Barry of Splendido;
- Chef Matthew DeMille of Enoteca Sociale;
- Chef Steve Gonzalez, Top Chef Canada contestant;
- Chef Carl Heinrich of Marben;
- Chef Nick auf der Mauer of Porchetta & Co.; and
- Barque Smokehouse.
- and our Le Dolci Cupcakes!
We are a proud sponsor of the 2011 Notable Awards, which takes place THIS THURSDAY! The public has voted and the winners will be announced at this must attend bash for young professionals. The Notable Awards recognizes the academic, social, and entrepreneurial achievements of young Canadians across the country. We’ll be at the event in true cupcake style: look for our mini cupcake tower in all its glory. Check back on Friday to see who Canada’s top young professionals are!
On November 18th Mums n’ Chums- a network that brings local parents together is hosting a
Twitter party to benefit the Erin Oak Kids Foundation. The Erin Oak Kids Foundation was established
in 2009 to help promote the well-being of children with disabilities and disorders; they work to build
philanthropic partnerships and continually develop community support.
The event runs from 8-10pm and is sure to be great fun with plenty of prizes to be won from a
spectacular raffle. Come out and support this local event with Le Dolci and Mums n’Chums, you might
even win a free cupcake decorating class if you are lucky.