Buttercream Cupcake Flower Class
Buttercream Flower Cupcakes
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
450g Egg whites (pasteurized)
675g Butter (soft and unsalted)
Vanilla to taste
- In a large bowl over a ban-Marie combine egg whites and sugar and cook occasionally whisking to allow for even cooking.
- Mixture is ready when its warm to touch and sugar is dissolved completely (rub the mixture between your fingers, continue to cook if you feel the texture to be gritty.)
- Transfer to an electric mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until it is cool to touch, usually around 25 minutes.
- Add softened butter gradually and whip until incorporated, then add vanilla or the flavours of your choice.
- Flavor the buttercream however you like, whip in extract, melted chocolate, fruit purees or even Oreo crumbs, let your creativity shine!!!
The number one problem with buttercream is splitting, if this happens try one of the following solutions.
With heat - Warm Buttercream slightly, this can be done by microwaving it of 10 second blasts whisking each time until it comes together. If you like, remove a tablespoon of the mixture melt it completely in the microwave and add it back to the mixture.
With friction - Continue to whip buttercream in a stand mixer, sometimes it can take approximately ten minutes to come back together.
With butter - Add more room temperature butter, do this one tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes back together.
Vanilla Cake/Cupcake Recipe
yields at 12 cupcakes 0r one 6" cake
40g Butter, Softened, Unsalted
120g All purpose flour
7.5g Baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Combine the first two ingredients. Cream until colour turns pale.
- Add egg, Scrape the bowl and make sure everything is combined. (if increasing the batch size add eggs one at a time scraping down between adding).
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients.
- Alternating between wet and dry ingredients, whisk together. (It is best to do this in smaller additions then larger ones as going slowly will help reduce lumps).
- Portion into cupcakes cups (fill 2/3 full), or 6" cake pan depending on use.
- Bake as cupcakes for 10 to 13 minutes at 325°F, or 25 to 30 minutes for a 6” cake.
Vanilla Chiffon Cake
Yields at 36 large cupcakes
Sponge cakes are moist and light, with a bit of a spongy texture, are easily eaten plain without any type of frosting. Sponges are a versatile cake and made with a minimal of simple ingredients; eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla. There is no leavening agent in a sponge cake.
5 eggs, separated, room temperature
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
85g All purpose flour, sieved
42g Melted butter, unsalted
- Using an electric mixer with a wire attachment, whisk egg whites and sugar together until stiff peaks.
- Lower the speed and add egg yolks one at a time. Add vanilla extract. Mix just until it is incorporated.
- Fold in the flour with a rubber spatula.
- Add melted butter to the batter.
Piping Tips (used in class)
Ateco Brand Tips (every brand has a different number system).
Round tip #5
Leaf tip #69, #352
Rose tip #124
Curved rose tip #59, #61
Rounded petal tip #79