CARROT CAKE (makes 1 Loaf / 12 Muffins)1 egg
1/4 scant cup of soured milk (using 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to sour)
3/4 cups white sugar (or 1/2 cup white, 1/4 cup brown)
1/2 cup veg oil
2 cups loose packed coarse grated carrots1+1/4 cups AP flour (or 3/4 cups AP and 1/2 wholewheat)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (3/8 teaspoon if including brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
pinch salt (optional)
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL (optional)
4oz (half standard 8oz block) cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup white sugar
3 Tablespoons AP flour
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (optional)
Instructions for Carrot Cake
1. Mix the lemon juice/vinegar together with the milk
2. Combine sugar, vegetable oil and soured milk in step 1, mix together until homogeneous (these are the WET ingredients)
3. Mix up eggs until yolks and whites are homogeneous, leave aside
4. Combine all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt, mix together with a whisk or fork until homogeneous (these are the DRY ingredients)
5. Mix eggs into wet ingredients and then immediately add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, important not to overmix!
6. Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit, portion loaf or muffins (with or without muffin liners) and swirl in cream cheese swirl if using. Bake for ~15-20 minutes (for muffins), ~50-60 mins (for loaf) or until a skewer inserted into middle of the cake comes out clean
Instructions for Cream Cheese Swirl
1. Mix the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth
2. Add egg, mix together until homogeneous
3. Add flour (sifted), zest and fold in until just combined
Here at Le Dolci we’ve been busy in the kitchen whipping up an extra-spooky cake to welcome Halloween. Don’t worry, our cake is all treat – no tricks!
Throwing a Halloween bash this year? Make it extra-sweet with Le Dolci’s custom Halloween cake. Our cakes are complete with creepy crawlies, ghosts, pumpkins and more!
They are available in m any flavours including strawberry, vanilla, chocolate and gluten-free options. For more information, visit our custom cakes page.