1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup 35% cream
2 egg yolks
2 TBSP sugar
Chocolate Mousse (with half of creme anglaise)
3/4 cup dark chocolate (chopped)
2/3 cup soft whipped cream (35%)
Instructions for Creme Anglaise:
1. Mix egg yolks vigorously with sugar until pale yellow in colour.
2. Combine milk and cream in a pot. Bring to a rolling boil but do not leave the pot to overboil!
3. Temper hot liquid into egg mixture, adding a small amount of liquid and then whisky vigorously, multiple times. Do not cook the eggs!
4. Return whole mixture to pot and continuously whisk until the viscosity of creme anglaise is such that it clings to the back of a spoon and a line can be drawn through the cream on the back of the spoon.
5. Pass the mixture through a sieve and into container for fridge storage and cover liquid directly with parchment or plastic.
6. Serve cold alongside jello, chocolate cake…
Instructions for Chocolate Mousse :
1. Whip cream until soft peaks form.
2. Pour hot creme anglaise over chocolate. Leave to sit for ~30 seconds and then whisk until homogeneous.
3. Fold in whipped cream into chocolate/creme anglaise mixture, a third at a time.
4. Transfer to cups/dessert bowls and leave to set in the fridge, ~2-3 hours.