Chinese New Year is tomorrow (the 23rd!) and to celebrate the year of the dragon, we’re indulging in all things sweet! We know many are familiar with the tradition of the lion dance, exchanging (and giving and receiving) lucky red pockets, and celebrating the dawn of a fresh new year with family and friends, but did you also know that Chinese New Year is highly food-centric?
We love all things sweet, so we’re here to share the goods surrounding this yearly celebration.
- Laughing cupcakes – photo on the right courtesy of our good friend Charles who is in Singapore (one of our fave cities) celebrating with his family -check out his great blog post here!
- Black sesame, red bean, and peanut crunch goodies
- Toasted sesame crunch balls
- Deep-fried dumplings stuffed with crushed peanuts and coconut
- Lots of candy (pay a visit to Pacific Mall and Market Village in Markham if you happen to be in the area for the incredible candy buffets that are dished out only once a year!)
- & plenty of special pastries from Chinese bakeries.
Many of these goodies are made specifically for this occasion, so definitely make the trip to Chinatown (Spadina Chinatown and/or Broadview and Dundas/Gerrard Chinatown) to grab some good eats to try this week if you never have!
We at Le Dolci would like to extend our warmest well wishes for a happy, prosperous Chinese (Lunar) New year to the Chinese community and all those who celebrate this occasion! Kung Hei Fat Choi!