The Perfect American Buttercream Recipe for piping!
THE DREAM! AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
YIELDS: yields buttercream to stack and mask a 6” round cake
• 900g butter (room temperature)
• 480g icing sugar (sifted)
• up to 250g whole milk
1. Mix the room temperature butter using an electric mixer until the mixture is smooth and
2.Add sifted icing sugar in 2-3 parts. Mix each time starting on low speed and mix until the
mixture is homogeneous, light and fluffy.
3.Add milk a little at a time on low speed, thoroughly incorporating any liquid before the addition of more milk and scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time. You can add more
milk for a looser texture or less milk for a firmer texture.
4. Use buttercream to decorate on the same day or transfer to an airtight container and
store in the fridge for up to one week or the freezer for up to three months.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- you can heat up your milk to room temperature in the microwave or in a saucepan
- icing sugar is also called “powdered” or “confectioner’s sugar” in some countries
- granulated sugar can be used in place of icing sugar, but the frosting will be a little
bit granular in texture from the sugar crystals
- pair bold flavours which go well with butter for an ‘American’ buttercream