Tricks of the trade!
Hi Le Dolci Fam,
Have you ever wondered how we keep our cakes so moist? It's really simple... syrup! By using this technique you'll keep your cakes moist much longer. Here are our favourite flavour combinations for you to try next time:
Flavoured Simple Syrup
Basic Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Raspberries
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup sliced or grated fresh Ginger
- Juice of 2 - 3 Lemons (1/4 cup)
- Sprigs of fresh Mint, optional or to garnish
- Handful of fresh Mint
- 1 Vanilla pod or 1 tsp. Vanilla extract or paste
- Juice of 3 Limes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the water and sugar and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally or until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
- You can drizzle over your cake layers using a squeeze bottle or spoon.
- Store in airtight jar, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Re-boil the syrup if you see any undissolved sugar granules
To Make Flavored Simple Syrup:
- Add your favorite fruit, herb or spice to the basic simple syrup mixture and continue as above, reduce heat and allow to simmer or mellow for about 5 - 8 minutes (depending on the flavor your using), sieve if necessary, allow to cool and store as directed above.