Apple Pie Class -Recipe & Prep List
This class is perfect for anyone wanting to learn how to make a perfect, flaky, pastry crust for pies. You will learn the lifetime skill of how to make great crust, work with seasonal fillings, learn some pie lore and enjoy hands on foodie fun. We fill our pies with sliced apples coated in cinnamon sugar.
Apple Pie - Class Prep
Thank you for choosing to take a class with Le Dolci! We’re looking forward to meeting you and making delicious treats together! In the meantime, please look at our equipment and ingredient lists to prepare for class!
Please be sure to measure out all your ingredients before the class begins.
For this class, you will need the following equipment:
- 2 x large bowls
- Kitchen scale or measuring cups and teaspoons
- 1 x 7" or 1 x 8" Pie Plate - we recommend aluminum or whatever you have at home
- A paring knife and cutting board to peel and cut apples
- A peeler (optional)
- Plastic/saran wrap
- A rolling pin or empty wine bottle
- A cheese grater (optional)
Don’t forget to look in the pantry for the following ingredients, or add them to the grocery list:
- 5-6 tart apples (we like to use Granny Smith, Spies, Galas, Russet, Cortland)
- 360g or 2+⅔ cup all purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 285g or 1 ¼ cup COLD vegetable shortening
- 125ml or ½ cup COLD water
- 100g or ½ cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ a lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- a few pinches of salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 egg for egg wash (1 egg + 2 tablespoons of water )
View our calendar of classes here.