Le Dolci's Traditional Sponge Cake Recipe
Last week, I escaped the city for cottage country. I couldn't get over the beautiful strawberries at the fruit stand just up the street from our place. So, I grabbed a few pints and headed home to bake up a strawberry shortcake to enjoy by the camp fire with the new friends we made during our stay. This recipe is from our 6 Week Cakes & Buttercream Course, which starts again on August 3rd! Are you joining in the fun? It's deliciously fun, there's weekly LIVE Zoom sessions with Chef Amanda and a fabulous Cake Club that you can join on Facebook to keep up the conversation about our favourite topic, cake!
Here's the recipe! xoLisa
• 4 eggs, separated
• 125g sugar (split into 2 parts)
• 75g flour
• 25g cornstarch
• pinch of salt
• . teaspoon baking powder (optional,
• ó teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Combine egg whites and half of the sugar with an electric or hand held mixer, sprinkling in
the sugar a little at a time while the mixer is on. Bring to ‘sti peak’ stage.
2. Combine the yolks and the other half of the sugar as well as the vanilla if using. Whisk
immediately and vigorously until the mixture looks pale and thick.
3. Fold in ~. of the egg white ‘sti peak’ meringue.
4. Sift and fold in flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder (if using) into egg yolk mixture,
until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
5. Gently fold in the rest of the egg white meringue, in 2-3 parts, until just combined.
6. Portion batter into greased and lined pans. Tap the cake pan down on the table to fill in
any large air pockets at the bottom of the cake and to have the batter come to level.
7. Bake at 325F or 160C until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the
cake comes out clean, ~20-25 minutes for a tall 6” cake and ~15 minutes for 6” cake layers.
8. De-mold the cake while it is still hot out of the oven.
9. Cool the cake completely and decorate on the same day or wrap cakes tightly in
plastic wrap and store in the freezer (not the fridge) for up to three months.
yields 1x 6” tall round cake or 3x 6” round cake layers
(or adjust cake layers to preferred height/weight and adjust bake