Recipes & Prep Lists - PRIVATE
Apple Pie Fun With kit -Prep List & Recipe
For this class, you will need the following equipment:
- 2 x large bowls
- Kitchen scale or measuring cups and teaspoons
- 1 x 7" or 1 x 8" Pie Plate - we recommend aluminum or whatever you have at home
- A paring knife and cutting board to peel and cut apples
- A peeler (optional)
- Plastic/saran wrap
- A rolling pin or empty wine bottle
- A cheese grater (optional)
Apple Pie - Recipe
- 5-6 tart apples depending on size (we like to use Granny Smith, Spies, Galas, Russet, Cortland)
- 360g or 2+⅔ cup all purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 285g or 1 ¼ cup COLD vegetable shortening
- 125ml or ½ cup COLD water
- 100g or ½ cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ of a lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a few pinches of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 egg for egg wash (1 egg + 2 tablespoons of water )
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, and shortening.
- Rub shortening into the flour until reduced to pea-sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water( or water with brown sugar) over the flour mixture until it just comes together and the dough appears to have marbling throughout. .
- Transfer dough to a floured table, shape into a thick disc, cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grab your dough from the freezer. Lightly flour your work surface and begin to roll out your pie dough.
- Once large enough to cover your pie plate, roll dough onto your rolling pin, then place in pie your dish. Cut off excess dough with a paring knife.
- Next, peel and cut apples, then add to a bowl and mix together with sugar, cornstarch, lemon, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour apple mixture into the crust, leaving room around the edges to seal dough. Roll out the remaining dough and place on top. Use a paring knife or fork to cut indents into the top of your dough to allow steam to escape.
- Seal the edges of your dough, then brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375F for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 350 ̊ F and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and centre of the pie is bubbling.
- If you choose to freeze your pie, bake from frozen at 375 ̊ F for 30 minutes and 350 ̊ F for an additional 60 minutes.