Recipes & Prep Lists - PRIVATE
Warm Caramel Apple Scones- Prep List & Recipe
For this class, you will need the following equipment:
- A few large bowls
- A few spoons or spatulas/wooden spoons (at least 1 heat-proof)
- Knife and cutting board
- Peeler (optional)
- Cheese grater (optional)
- A rolling pin (or an empty wine bottle!)
- Circle cookie cutter or something else to cut out circles eg. a sturdy plastic cup (a knife is ok too)
- Baking tray with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 3 cups of All Purpose Flour or 361g
- ⅔ of a cup of sugar or 132 g
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder or 12g
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ⅔ of a cup cold unsalted butter or 142g
- 2 cups or 340g of chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup heavy cream or 242g
- 1 large egg with a touch of water for egg wash
- 6 Tablespoon of unsalted butter or 80g
- ¾ cup brown sugar or 150g
- 1 cup of heavy cream or 200g
- 2 Tablespoon corn syrup or maple syrup
For the Apple Scones:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour granulated sugar baking powder and salt.
- Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture and toss for the butter pieces are coated with flour. Add apples and toss gently to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the cream. Toss the mixture with your fingers to combine. Then need gently to ensure everything is evenly moistened.
- Scoop ¼ cup mould of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets leaving at least 1 inch between them.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash. Bake the scones, switching the sheets from front to back in top to bottom at the halfway mark, for 20 to 22 minutes until the tops and edges are golden brown. The scones can be served warm or at room temperature.
Please Note: Enjoy these scones for up to 3 months in the freezer (raw or baked) and up to 3 days in an airtight container on the countertop in a cool, dry place.
For Gooey Caramel:
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon or pour sauce into a bowl bowl or jar and allow to cool a little before serving with scone.
- Caramel sauce will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.