Molten Lava Cake Class - Prep List & Recipe
Please be sure to measure out all your ingredients before the class begins.
For this class, you will need the following equipment:
Note: You will be using one of the bowls and the pot as a double boiler.
- Rubber Spatula
- A few large bowls (2-3)
- Rolling pin
- Ramekins (to bake the cakes in 3-4)
- Knife (something you feel comfortable dicing with)
- Cutting Board
- Small offset spatula
- A plate or bowl for presentation/plating
Don’t forget to look in the pantry for the following ingredients, or add them to your grocery list:
- Fresh strawberries (used for garnishing)
- A Sieve & Icing sugar (optional for garnishing)
- A small container of 35% Whipping Cream (used for garnish)
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate (Bitter sweet)
- 1/2 cup of Butter (plus a little extra for greasing ramekins)
- 2 Tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 4 Eggs (2 whole eggs and 2 yolks)
- Cocoa powder for dusting the ramekins
For the gluten free version you can substitute Cup for Cup gluten free flour
Molten Lava Cake - Recipe
2” ramekin makes 4 Lava Cakes
3” ramekin makes 3 Lava Cakes
For the Garnish
- 8 - 10 fresh strawberries
- ½ tablespoon sugar *optional
- ½ a cup 35% Whipping Cream
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the Cake
- 1 cup or 140g Dark Chocolate
- ½ of a cup or 113g of Butter (plus a little extra for greasing ramekins)
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- ¼ of 50g of a cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs - 2 Whole eggs + 2 yolks
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease your ramekin with butter and lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- In a double boiler (a bowl over a pot of simmering water) melt the chocolate and butter.
- In a medium sized bowl whip 2 whole eggs, 2 yolks and sugar together. The mixture will slightly thicken and become more pale in colour.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add flour and fold gently.
- Scoop batter into ramekins and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are firm and the centre of the cake is still soft. Remember everyone's home oven is different so it may take your oven a couple minutes more or less.
- Let the cake sit in the container for 2-3 minutes before removing and serving.
TIP: To remove the cakes from the ramekins, place a dessert plate facing down on top of the ramekin and turn right side up.
Also note: If you are not ready to bake, you can refrigerate and bake later for up to 12 hours. Baking from cold will increase the bake time slightly.
For the garnish:
For this recipe we are using strawberries, however any fruit can be used to brighten up this dish. Cut the strawberries into small pieces and add a sprinkle of sugar to coat them.
For the whipped cream:
In a bowl, whisk together cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
Whipping cream tip! Chill your utensils before whipping, the fat in the cream will emulsify quicker and your cream will hold longer.