Pecan Pie Class
Pecan Pie Recipe
- 360g or 2+⅔ cup all purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 285g or 1 ¼ cup COLD vegetable shortening
- 125ml or ½ cup COLD water
- 2 and 1/2 cups (250g) shelled pecans (pecan halves)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, butter, and shortening.
- Rub shortening into the flour until reduced to pea-sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water( or water with brown sugar) over the flour mixture until it just comes together and the dough appears to have marbling throughout. .
- Transfer dough to a floured table, shape into a thick disc, cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before rolling.
- After the pie dough chills, adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat to 350°F (177°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie crust onto a lightly floured surface. Remember, when rolling out the pie dough, always use gentle force with your rolling pin. Start from the center and work your way out in all directions, rotating the dough with your hands as you go. Roll it out into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough in a 9×2 inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it’s smooth. Crimp the edges with a fork or use your fingers to flute the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash. (To help guarantee a beautiful edge, I always chill the shaped dough in the pie dish for 10 minutes in the refrigerator or freezer before filling.)
- Very roughly chop the pecans– some whole, some lightly chopped is fine. Spread pecans evenly inside the pie crust. Whisk the eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, melted butter, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl until combined. Pour over pecans.
- Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Remove finished pie from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. The pie filling will settle as it cools.
- Slice and serve pie warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Cover and store leftovers at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Pie Crust: pastry dough recipe makes 2 crusts. You only need 1 crust for this pie, so freeze the 2nd half for another use.