Recipes & Prep Lists - PRIVATE
Pumpkin Pie - Recipe
Pie Crust Ingredients: yields 2 pie crust
- 360g or 2+⅔ cup all purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 285g or 1 ¼ cup COLD vegetable shortening
- 125ml or ½ cup COLD water
Pumpkin Filling Ingredients: yields 1 pie
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup or 200g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ginger
- ¾ cups Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup 35% Cream
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, butter, and shortening.
- Rub shortening into the flour until reduced to pea-sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water( or water with brown sugar) over the flour mixture until it just comes together and the dough appears to have marbling throughout. .
- Transfer dough to a floured table, shape into a thick disc, cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grab your dough from the freezer. Lightly flour your work surface and begin to roll out your pie dough.
- Once large enough to cover your pie plate, roll dough onto your rolling pin, then place in your pie dish. Cut off excess dough with a paring knife.
- Add parchment paper to the top of the pie crust and fill with dried beans to prepare for blind- bake.
- Par-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment paper/dried beans.
- Next, with a paddle in a mixer, mix brown sugar and eggs together until incorporated. Add pumpkin puree, all spices, condensed milk, and cream and mix together until well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the par baked crust.
- Brush the edges of the pie with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 50-60 minutes. Pie is done when centre of pie is still a little wobbly.