Flavoured Simple Syrup
Basic Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Raspberries
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup sliced or grated fresh Ginger
- Juice of 2 - 3 Lemons (1/4 cup)
- Sprigs of fresh Mint, optional or to garnish
- Handful of fresh Mint
- 1 Vanilla pod or 1 tsp. Vanilla extract or paste
- Juice of 3 Limes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the water and sugar and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally or until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
- You can drizzle over your cake layers using a squeeze bottle or spoon.
- Store in airtight jar, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Re-boil the syrup if you see any undissolved sugar granules
To Make Flavored Simple Syrup:
- Add your favorite fruit, herb or spice to the basic simple syrup mixture and continue as above, reduce heat and allow to simmer or mellow for about 5 - 8 minutes (depending on the flavor your using), sieve if necessary, allow to cool and store as directed above.