Witchy Finger Cookie Class
Please have all ingredients measured out and ready prior to the start of virtual class.
Yield 60 cookies
Tools needed for class:
- Mixer, hand help blender, or mix recipe by hand
- Measuring cups or a kitchen scale
- Paring knife, small knife
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Rubber spatula
- Knife for spreading
- 1 cup butter (226 grams), softened
- 1 cup (115 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar, highly recommended if you'd like a regularly-sweetened cookie
- 1 large (50 grams, out of shell) egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups (334 grams) all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour (or a mix of the two) or for a gluten-free version, see below1
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (105 grams) blanched almonds
- 1/2 - 1 cup (118 - 236ml) strawberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C) and line a baking sheet with a piece of paper
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and powdered sugar (and granulated sugar, if using) together until fluffy. Add the egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract and mix. When well combined, add the flour and salt.
- Keep about a fourth of the dough out and the rest can go into the fridge so it stays cold. begin rolling out the fingers.
- Roll them out the thickness of your pinky as an example, but a bit longer.
- Add an almond to the tip for the fingernail, and press down to make sure it's secure.
- Form a knuckle by squeezing around the middle.
- Use a sharp knife for the wrinkles in the knuckles and vary the length. It create a more realistic fingers.
- Place on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving about a centimeter between them. Repeat with the rest of the dough until the cookie sheet is full.
- Bake for 17 - 22 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet, and then remove the almonds from the cookies. Add some jam in the cavities and then put the almonds back, making sure you used enough jam for them to ooze a little. Also, add some jam around the knuckles for extra. Use about 1/2 cup jam and used the rest as "dip."
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.